I’m trying to summarize and redirect Github discussions about alternative dom0 distros to the forum. These discussions surfaced the following developer concerns:
- Long Term Support (reduce update churn).
dom0gets updated between 1-3.5 years/~1.9 years on average.
- Up-to-date userland (updated packaging, large support community).
- This will be less important as more functionality is moved out of dom0.
- Up-to-date kernel (good driver/hardware support).
- Small TCB.
- “Secure” packaging (reproducible builds, package and meta-data signing).
- Note that Gitian can make most builds reproducible.
- “Safe” updates (rollback).
- Efficiency sharing distro between dom0 and VM templates.
Keep it chill! Linux distros largely repackage the same code and distro flamewars border on cheering for a brand. If you want to advocate/discuss a certain distro: spawn a new thread and limit your response here to a link and a short summary of how the distro scores on the above list of concerns. I’ll try to keep this list up-to-date: